Beginners Course 2019 - BISHOP’S STORTFORD RUNNING CLUB 10 WEEKS TO 10k!
BISHOP’S STORTFORD RUNNING CLUB
10 WEEKS TO 10k!
Join our popular ‘Beginners Course’
The 10-week course has been developed over several years by our experienced coaching team with the aim of introducing you to running in a safe and enjoyable way. We start with some gentle walk/jog sessions, and by the end you will be able to run 10 kilometres. Along the way we give you advice on footwear, nutrition and clothing and teach you stretches to help you stay injury free. This year’s course runs for 10 weeks from Wednesday 03 April until Wednesday 05 June 2019. The course is based at the clubhouse at Beldams Lane, Bishop’s Stortford at 7.15 pm for a 7.30 pm start every Wednesday, finishes 8:30 pm, and uses the Club field and local off-road tracks.
Is this course for me?
The course is suitable for absolute beginners or for those who have not run for a number of years. If you can power walk for 30 min to 1 hour, and can jog the distance between 2 lamp posts then you are ready to start the course. You don’t need to be able to attend every session – most beginners miss a few sessions due to work or family commitments – but you do need to be able to go out and practise running another 2-3 times every week so that you are ready for the next session. If you can already run 10k, then you may prefer to join the Club using the standard membership form, and attend our regular coached training sessions.
What do I need to wear?
You don’t need lots of kit to start running, but it’s important that you’re comfortable in what you’re wearing. You don’t need special running shoes to get started; you won’t be running long distances just yet. Kit advice is given in the introduction packs before the course and during the course sessions.
Who leads the course?
All coaching is under the supervision of qualified running coaches who plan and run these group sessions.
What happens after the course?
At the end of the 10-week course you will be able to run steadily for 30-60 minutes. You will continue to be guided on runs across the local tracks and to Hatfield Forest on Wednesday evenings for the rest of the summer months, leading up to your next challenge, which is the Takeley 10k in September, together with the other beginners from the course. Beyond this, the Running Club has groups for all abilities and you can continue your running in one of those groups after the course. You will also be able to attend all of the Club events and regular coaching sessions for free until end March 2020.
What does it cost and what is included?
The course costs just £75, and includes all this:
- The full 10 week beginners course, professionally coached by UK Athletics Qualified Coaches
- Full membership of the Club until end March 2020 (2018/9 £50.00). This includes all of the Club events and regular coaching sessions.
- A BSRC "10 Week to 10k" Technical T-Shirt.
- Guided Wednesday runs during the summer months across to Hatfield Forest
How do I join?
Entry is on a first come, first served basis and the course fills up quickly, so be sure to get your entry in early!
This year, we will be taking course registration via the England Athletics RunTogether web system as follows:
- Please register with RunTogether and complete your personal details.
- Go to the menu system and click on View Runs, or go to Beginners here
- Click on the Beginners course, select all 10 sessions and click on the Book these Runs button.
- You pay directly by credit/debit card.
- You will receive an email confirming that your booking has been registered.
- You will then receive an email requesting more information needed for your BSRC Membership. This email will only take a few minutes to complete. Some of this will be the same as you have entered on RunTogether registration, but this information is not available to us.
Your place on the course is only secured once your payment has been received.