**UPDATE - 1 Dec 2020**
COVID 19 restrictions have affected most forms of mass participation sporting events. Please check with the race organisers for the most up to date information. Once this all blows over, information will be displayed here regarding local running events.
General Running Links
- Go Active Project - GO Active, Get Healthy is a free-to-join project that aims to help people in Oxfordshire to do more physical activity and exercise.
- British Athletics
- NHS Couch to 5Km - Designed to get just about anyone off the couch and running 5km in 8-10 weeks.
- Runner's World 5K Index -5K races are the perfect distance for beginners targeting a first race
- The perfect 10K - The country's most popular type of race
- Half marathon schedules - 10-12wk & Garmin ready plans here!
- Marathon - The full 26.2miles!
For those that enter races then here's a quick rundown of some local events. Some fill up very quickly so set yourself a target for 2020 and sign up:
- Abingdon 10km -12 January 2020
- Reading Half Marathon - 5 April 2020 - 2 half marathons in a week challenge anyone? Warm-up for anyone lucky or brave enough to be running the London Marathon
- Banbury 15 - 15 March 2020 - 15 miles around Banbury. Shorter distance fun runs also take place on the day
- OX5 Run - 29 March 2020 - 5-mile loop around Blenheim Palace perimeter road for Oxford University Hospitals Trust Children's Hospital
- White Horse Half Marathon - 5 April 2020 - 'Level' 13.1miles round Grove
- Devizes Half Marathon - 5 April 2020 - 'Undulating' course. A PB is possible here but it is quite challenging.
- Westonbirt House Easter 10km - 10 April 2020 (Good Friday) 10km and Half Marathon at the stunning Westonbirt House and Gardens.
- Oxford Town and Gown 10K - 3 May 2020 - Flat course round Oxford, ideal for that first 10K or a PB
- Otmoor Challenge Half Marathon - Date TBC but usually at the start of June - Offroad and hilly
- Run Jericho 10K - 16 June 2020 - 10K round Jericho, Port Meadow and the Oxford Canal
- Thame CPM 10K - Date TBC but normally towards the end of June - Flat with PB potential
- Race to the Stones - 4 & 5 July 2020 - Something a bit different! 100K Ultra Marathon and/or 50K running/walking one/two-day event from Lewknor to Avebury.
- Swindon Half Marathon - Usually in September - another local half. The race has changed ownership and they have yet to announce details of when the race will take place or when entries open.
- Longworth 10K - Usually mid-September. Good mixed terrain course along part of the Thames Path
- Cotswold Classic 10 - mid/late September. 10mile course just north of Witney. Good preparation for the Oxford half a few weeks later.
- BHF Blenheim Half Marathon, 10K and Family Fun Run - 27 September 2020 - Hilly course so don't expect a PB
- Oxford Half Marathon - 11 October 2020- Popular local HM on a flat course. This is a very popular race that has now adopted the ballot system of allocating places to runners.
- Abingdon Marathon - Usually the end of October.
- Eynsham 10K - Usually the end of November - Flat 2 lap course around Eynsham village. Good for a cheeky late-year 10K and very often a PB as well. This race sells out very quickly!
If you do sign up please let us know and there may be opportunities to 'buddy up' on race day with another Far Runner, we'll also try and provide support to help keep you motivated towards that goal.