Couch to 5k
Couch to 5k is a well recognised programme to build up your ability to be able to cover 5 kilometres starting from mainly walking and progressing to mainly jogging.
I have tried to address some of the short-commings of the usual organised programmes:
- Start any time (usually start at a specific 'week 1' date)
- Start at your level (everyone has different abilities)
- Progress levels when you're ready (usually hard-defined steps in walk-jog times)
- Skip weeks and pick up again (life happens)
- Extra emphasis on initially walking (running can seem unimaginable to begin)
Sessions are very much socially focussed hence sessions organised as levels to keep a group close and my run leading experience is used to produce progressive sessions for the individuals within the group.
My well-known trait is to guide runners to explore on-our-doorstep routes and locations that they may not know existed. Group runs provide confidence and safety to visit places plus DBS checked, First Aid qualified and UK Athletics (& British Cycling!) qualified/insured for that extra comfort.
I'm not a veteran sports-person by any means, my own 'up-rising' from inactivity and obesity only started a few years ago (see wozzy.co.uk), therefore I empathise with everyone's progress. I strongly believe parents are the biggest role-models for children - you can provide kids facilities for sport but showing them the way DOES leave a life long active mindset way more valuable.
Find your starting level:
- Level 1 - you can walk from 30 mins non-stop.
- Level 2 - you can jog for 15 minutes (with occasional walk)
- Level 3 - you can jog for 25 minutes (with occasional walk)