Welcome to our running group: RunFit Shirley
Next run: Monday 26 February 2024
About our group
RunFit Shirley is a running fitness group based in Shirley, Solihull offering organised running sessions to adults of all ages who would like to start running, and those who currently run a little but would like to improve.
RunFit Shirley is non-competitive running group and is there to provide support and opportunity for people to incorporate running into thier lifestyle. Each session is brought to you an experienced runner and qualified Run Leader, whose aim is to help people with their fitness journey. We run as a group where no one gets left behind on their own. These sessions are desinged to be safe, supportive, fun, friendly and open to all.
Benefits of being part of this group:
- Weekly support and motivation
- Fully inclusive of all - there is no need to worry about your speed or how far you can run
- Routes and distances are pre-planned so you can just turn up.
- Club discounts
What are the benefits of running?
- It's one of the most efficient ways to achieve aerobic fitness.
- Relieve stress and improve your mental health.
- Experience a 'runner's high' when endorphins are released - this gives you a euphoric feeling.
- Burning a LOT of calories if you choose to run longer.
- Running—along with other weight-bearing exercise—stimulates stronger bones.
- Accountability, knowing others are going out will motivate you to run as a group.
- Have someone behind you helping you make choices for diet and fitness.
What will we do in the session?
RunFit is about incorporating running and fitness with the aim of improving both your fitness, strength and stability - all of which are important for runners. Therefore a typical session will start with a gentle warm-up, to get both your body and mind prepared. We may then do some activities to get your core and lower body primed (something you might not normally do if you were heading out for a run by yourself). We will always finish with a cool-down.
Need a running buddy?
If you're not sure about joining a group but still need support, motiviation and company then contact me if you would like to discover safe and new running routes with me.
How much does it cost?
A small fee is charged to cover administrative costs and the time it takes to plan, manage and organise each session. Prices are shown next to each run and sometimes sessions are offered completely free to try.
That said, some administrative costs need to be covered, but is kept to an absolute minimum. The easiest and fairest way to cover these costs is to charge a small fee per session.
What should I wear?
It might sound very abvious however wearing suitable running shoes based on your gait and needs is probably the most important to get started. You may wish to visit a running specialst retailer such as Birmingham Runner who can check your gait and ensure you have the right shoes for you, as this can really help avoid injuries.
Running clothing need not be expensive or fancy. You'll be much more comfortable by choosing to wear breathable clothes/base layers based on the weather.
What are your qualifications?
I am an England Athletics licenced run leader (Leader in Running Fitness) and hold an enhanced DBS check certificate.
Meet our Team
Ravi Tanna Group Leader